Lakeshore Environmental, Inc. (LEI) has seen a significant increase in the number of old/non-utilized home heating oil USTs which are being removed. It is a case of an influx in new home ownership, home refinancing rates at record lows, more strict regulations by lending institutions and a heightened sense of environmental awareness by home owners.
- Potential for leaks or releases to the subsurface soil and/or groundwater
- Vent and fill pipes serve as trip hazards
- Potential for pressurized/explosive contents within an abandoned UST
- Remodeling dangers for subcontractors and home owners
- Tree roots can penetrate UST lines and cause releases
- Potential for water well contamination from a leaking UST
- Liability risk involved with potential future cleanup
- Higher insurance rates
- Stricter lending requirements
Services that LEI offers you or your clients:
- Free initial on-site inspection which includes the location, size, contents, estimate of the quantity of contents and a reasonable price for the proper removal of the UST
- Consultation on the safe removal of the UST
- On-site oversight of UST removal
- Pumping and removal of UST contents
- Soil and/or groundwater sampling within the area or under the UST in question
- Final reporting of activities and sampling results
What Does This Mean For You?
It is not required to contact an environmental consultant for a home heating oil UST removal; however, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) recommends that a certified environmental consultant be contracted to ensure that all requirements are met during the removal. Understanding the benefits of an experienced and qualified environmental consultant is important to ensure that closing delays are not encountered as a result of the UST. LEI has successfully removed home heating oil USTs of all sizes, shapes and locations across our service area and has local qualified individuals who specialize in UST removal and would be glad to aid in any way possible; don’t miss out on the opportunity to benefit from the services of LEI. If interested in learning more about these services or if you have a project you wish to discuss, please feel free to contact LEI’s Home Heating Oil UST team.